Wednesday, March 6, 2013

DIY Pochade Box

I've fallen behind a bit on my daily paintings. Yesterday I had quite a few things I needed to finish for work so tonight I was anxious to paint again. It's weird, it really felt like I hadn't painted in ages. So I should say that I've been hijaking my workplace's studio space to paint my still lifes and sometimes there are classes in there in the evenings. Tonight I was surprised to find a figure painting class under way and was encouraged to join in since two people didn't show up. This seemed a reasonable alternative, but once things got underway there ended up not being enough easels for everyone. I took this as a sign that I should go home a make my own pochade box. A pochade box is basically a portable easel. I've been looking into purchasing one recently, but am turned off by how pricey they are and how long it will take to get them. I youtubed some reviews, stumbled upon some DIY tutorials, and decided that with all of my roommate's power tools combined, there's no reason I couldn't make one myself, especially since I received a beautiful 8x10 ish, cigar-boxish wine kit mystery gift last Christmas. I quickly gutted it of its foam and contents and went to work. I mainly followed this guy's design

 Here's my work in progress:

The backside:

There's not much left to do, I just need to buy a few more screws and drill a hole on the bottom of the box. I also plan on making some wood panel extenders (like the ones on the Alla Prima) that clip onto the side of the box for more real estate. Now I just need to buy a nice tripod.

No comments:

Post a Comment